What is it?
Findability is at the heart of every great digital workspace. Empower your people to find what they need to get work done - fast. Direct user's attention toward relevant content by using the Search component.
The Search component is used to add a customized search to your site or page. You can configure this component to have specific filters to allow your users to perform a more targeted search, based on a specific site, application or file type.
When do I use it?
Enterprise Search spans the entire intranet and is usually located within the site header of sites. The Search component provides users with a more targeted search for a specific site or application. Policies & Procedures are sometimes lost amongst search results from across the intranet, by grouping them in a specific site and applying a customized search, users will be able to find what they're looking for faster.
To add the Search component to a site layout
Note: you need to have Security level of Contributor or higher in order to edit a layout
- Navigate to the site where you want to add the Search component.
- From the top toolbar select Edit > Live and then select Components.
- From the Add Components list, click Search and drag to the required location on your layout.
Set Properties for the Search component
You can set a custom heading, description and link text for the component, set the filter parameters, as well as edit the spacing around it to change how it looks in your layout.
- In the layout, click on the Search component, the properties are displayed on the left. Note: the component will initially search everything on the intranet until it is customized.
- Click the Edit button.
- Enter a custom heading and description, e.g. Search Policies & Procedures. Note: by default the heading will be "Search".
- Create search filters that limit this search component to only return results that meet specific criteria; e.g. subsite, application, file type, etc. (see below for more details on filters)
- Provide a link to access other content and applications within the intranet, or from an external URL and update the text displayed below the search box.
- Increase or decrease padding as required.
- Click Save.
Set Filters to restrict search results
Allow your users to find what they're looking for quickly by configuring the Search Component by subsite, application or file type.
Filter by Subsite
When configuring the filter for Subsite, ensure you enter the subsite name exactly as it is. Note: the double quotes are required where indicated, see examples below:
- [SUBSITE:"Subsite Name"] Note: replace the "Subsite Name" with the name of the subsite in double quotes.
- [SUBSITE:"Human Resources"]
- [SUBSITE:"Internal Communciations"]
Filter by Application
Copy exactly as shown below. Note: the double quotes are required where indicated:
- [APPLICATION:"Application Name"] Note: replace "Application Name" with the name of the application in double quotes.
- [APPLICATION:"Layout Manager"]
- [APPLICATION:"Company Calendar"]
- [APPLICATION:"Meeting Room Booking"]
- [APPLICATION:"Online Forms"]
- [APPLICATION:"Quick Links"]
Filter by File Type
Copy exactly as shown below.