Add Nav Bar
How To Add a Nav Bar:
The first step to adding a Navigation Bar to your site you must first Login to your admin. In order to do this, duplicate the tab of your site on the internet browser.
After you have opened up a duplicate tab - backspace out the word "Home" and replace it with "Admin". This will bring you to the login screen of your admin.
(Depending on how the Admin user is setup will determine whether you see the login screen. It very well may just login based on your credentials. But just in case we are showing you what the login screen would look like)
Once you login to your admin you will see your Application Explorer. When you click on "Home" it expands and all of the "Application Options" for the site are displayed. Please follow the steps below as we walk you through the process of adding a "Navigation Bar".
Step Two: Under the applications select "Nav Editor". This will expand, providing you with the following options:
- Add Nav Bar
- Edit Nav Bar
- Edit Compulsory Nav Items
Select "Add Nav". This will open up the wizard to add the navigation bar. In the image below you will see the steps that need to be completed.
Step Three: Enter all of the Nav Details.
- Lets start by first entering the Name for the new Nav Bar. This will only be used for administrator reference.
- Next we will click on "Shared" checkbox for the "Nav Bar" to be shared with and used within other subsites.
- The next step requires us to click on "Allow Editing" checkbox. This gives user the authority from other subsites to make changes.
- The Navigation Position simply defines the appearance of Nav Bar in the site.
- Vertical: Displays the Nav Bar vertically i.e. downwards.
- Horizontal: Displays the Nav Bar horizontally i.e. across the screen.
(If the Vertical Navigation Position is selected then the Display Home Link Options appears which allows the user to display Home link on the Nav Bar, and by clicking on it the user gets directed to the 'Home' URL.)
- Your Home Link Text which is a link that gets displayed when the Display Home Link option is selected.
- Finally you want to enter the Home Link URL. (Note: while linking it to an external website, the URL should be preceded by http://) The purpose of this is to to give a URL to the Home Link Text. Once we have completed that section, click "Next" to continue.
Step Four: Now that we have completed the details section of our "Nav Bar" we are now ready to add the "Nav Items". When you get to this screen, you notice the following options represented by icons: Add, Delete and Move.
- Add - On the image below is represented by the (Blue) "+" icon
- Delete - On the image below is represented by the (Red) "x" icon
- Move - On the image below is represented by the (2 Verticals Arrows)
Click on the Add Item icon to add an Item. The new item will be added one level below the currently selected item.
Select the Navigation Bar to create a root item.
Click on the Delete Item icon, if you want to delete an item by clicking on the applicable item.
Click on the arrows on the Nav Bar to move items up and down rearranging their position on the "Nav Bar".
5. In order to add a name to an item, in the text box area type in the name of the item. Once you click onto another "Nav Item" the name will auto populate.
You will see the "Name" gets displayed on the navigation. The "Insert Link" option it authorizes users the ability to create and or associate a link to content resources and pages. Now in order to insert links to pages, resources or external content, the URL must be linked to the page.
6. Once you click on the "Insert Link" it opens up The GreenOribt Content wizard. Here you will identify the content you want to be linked to the items in the navigation. by performing this action it provides the user with the ability to navigate through the content within the intranet.
In the wizard that populates to the right, you would first select the content you want associated with the "Nav Item". in the 1st example above you see (History) as the "NAV Item". We want to link to go to the (History Page). As you click on the "Insert Link" open up the wizard, you know that this page is located in the folder entitled - (CMS - Our Company).
In the example above as you click on the folder the URL Location updates to let you know where you are in the library of content. Once the folder opens you see all of the content in that folder. Next highlight the page you want and then the URL appears at the bottom of the wizard. **(The URL section within the "Insert Link" can also be added by the user manually as well).
(Note: while linking it to an external website, the URL should be preceded by http://)
* Current Window opens the link in the current window, recommended for inter links.
* New Window opens a new browser window, recommended for external links.
Next, after you identify the content you want to link click "OK". This closes out the wizard and places the link in on the "Nav Bar". Then you click "OK" on the "Nav Editor" to save your changes and exit the application.
**(VERY IMPORTANT TO NOTE - ALTHOUGH YOU HAVE ATTACHED THE URL LINK FROM THE WIZARD TO THE NAV EDITOR, YOUR LINK IS NOT SAVED OR ACTIVE UNTIL YOU CLICK "OK" ON THE NAV EDITOR.)**
7. After you have checked the details and all of the additions and changes you wanted to make. Click on "OK" to save the changes and return to the "Application Explorer".