GreenOrbit allows for multiple levels of access, allowing tailored management of what users have to access to. An Admin User account is a prerequisite to allow users to log in to the GreenOrbit Admin, so they can administrate the different areas of the intranet.
This is an overview of how Admin Users can be managed within the GreenOrbit system and how the different user access levels can be granted through the management of Admin Roles.
This functionality is split into three main areas:
- Admin User Groups
- Admin Roles
- Admin Users
The contents of this guide assumes the following pre-requisites:
- Super User access to the GreenOrbit Administration system as the guide requires access to creating Admin Users, Admin User Groups and Admin Roles.
- GreenOrbit 1.0 or above is installed.
The Admin Users section within the system allows you to manage these user accounts, thereby, controlling who can access the administration system, and what level of access they have. (See Figure 1 – Admin Users Section) Each Admin User has detailed information stored about them within the system and is either classified as a ‘Super User’ or 'Admin User':
- A Super User has access to all applications within all subsites, and all of the administration options on the system.
- An Admin User has restricted access to subsites and applications and different areas of the administration system which is managed through Admin Roles and User Groups.
The sections below outline how these Admin User accounts can be created and explains how Admin Roles and Admin User Groups can be defined to administer these accounts.
LOGIN IN TO ADMINISTRATION
To manage intranet content, users need to access the GreenOrbit Administration which can be accessed through a web browser by going to http://yourintranet/admin/ (where your intranet is the name of your intranet)
On installation the default login username: “superuser”, password: “dashboard” and click login. Please note this may have been changed following the installation of GreenOrbit.
If this is the first time you have logged into the administration section of your intranet you will be prompted to confirm/change your details including your password.
Figure 2 - Confirm/Change User Details
Note: Once you have logged in you may change your details (including your password) by clicking the change details button at the top right-hand corner of the screen.
ADMIN USER GROUPS
An Admin User Group provides access to a particular subsite or an application.
Please Note: GreenOrbit comes with a set of default Admin User Groups and in the majority of cases it is recommended that additional Admin Roles are created rather than creating additional Admin User Groups.
ADD ADMIN USER GROUP
Step 1 – To Add a new Admin User Group, select Administration > Expand Admin Users > Expand Admin User Group > Select Add Admin User Group from the Application Explorer
Step 2 – You will now be taken through a step by step Wizard to fill out the ‘Details’ of adding a new Admin User Group. Enter the Details of the Admin User Group:
- Name: enter a name to describe your User Group
- Permission Level: select the permission level required to be able to assign a user to this group. This is the minimum permission level that is required by an admin user to be able to assign an Admin User Group being created. This will be Administrators by default; this will allow both Administrators and Super User to add users to the group. The permission level can also be set to Super Users which will allow only Super Users to add admin users to the admin user group.
- Active: select the Active checkbox to make the Admin User group active and Click Next to continue
Step 3 – Pages, select and tick the checkboxes of the applications.
Click Next to continue.
Step 4 – Application Groups, if required select the Application Groups within the Applications that the user group will have access to. e.g. Normal News in news.
Step 5 – Select Next and then Finish.
EDIT ADMIN USER GROUP
Step 1 – To Edit an existing Admin User Group, select Administration > Expand Admin Users > Expand Admin User Group > Select Edit Admin User Group from the Application Explorer
Step 2 – Select the Edit link associated to the Admin User Group you would like to edit
Step 3 – Select the Details, Pages, Application Groups or Members tab to update and modify the Admin User Groups information.
Step 4 – Click Apply and OK to save your changes
NOTE: Predefined Admin User Groups cannot be modified as these have been locked down by the system, however can be viewed.
An Admin Role is a collection of Admin User Groups that grants administrators an efficient method of quickly assigning Admin Users to a set of pre-defined ‘Roles’ for selected subsites.
By creating these Admin Roles this enables easy definition of roles that allows the ability to control and govern the different access levels for Admin Users. An Admin User can have multiple roles for different subsites.
For Example An Admin User can be a Group Manager of the Departments subsite group and also a Site Manager or Contributor of the Home site.
By default GreenOrbit comes with three default Admin Roles:
1. Group Manager – Admin Users responsible for updating, maintaining and managing all sites within a subsite
2. Site Manager – Admin Users responsible for maintaining and managing an entire subsite. Typically a site manager is responsible for maintaining the homepage.
3. Site User – Admin Users responsible for updating and maintaining areas of content within a subsite.
Additional Admin Roles can be created that determines both the level at which a user is granted access to subsites and subsite groups as well what User Groups the Role includes.
ADD ADMIN ROLE
Step 1 – To Add a new Admin Role, select Administration > Expand Admin Users > Expand Admin Roles > Select Add Admin Role from the Application Explorer
Step 2 – You will now be taken through a step by step Wizard to fill out the ‘Details’ of adding a new Admin Role.
Enter the following Details of the Admin Role:
- Title; enter a title to describe the Admin Role
- Role Type; select the Role Type from the drop down list
The Role Type list contains three available options that control the level of access for the Admin user being created:
- Custom Administrator – users are given access to specific applications only, based on the User Groups selected in the proceeding step
- Site Manager – users are given access to specific applications within a subsite; however they can also perform administrative tasks such as adding additional users
- Group Manager - users are given access to specific applications at a Subsite Group level; however they can also perform administrative tasks such as adding additional users
** See Table 1 – Roles and Permissions
Inherit; the Inherit option means that when a Role is applied to an Admin User for a subsite it will inherit down to any child subsites as well.
For example if a user has been granted access to the subsite ‘/Marketing/’, through the use of a Role with Inherit selected, if a new subsite is 'created with the URL of ‘/Marketing/PR/’ then the admin user will automatically be granted the same rights in that subsite as they do for the parent subsite. Click Next to continue.
Step 3 – User Groups, select the Admin User Group(s) you wish to apply to the Role.
Figure 5 - Add Admin Role - User Groups
Step 4 - Select Next and then Finish.
EDIT ADMIN ROLE
Step 1 – To Edit an existing Admin Role, select Administration > Expand Admin Users > Expand Admin Roles > Select Edit Admin Role from the Application Explorer.
Step 2 – Select the Edit link associated to the Admin Role from the Admin Role List you would like to edit.
Figure 6 - Edit Admin Role List
Step 3 – Select the Details or User Groups tab to update and modify the Admin Role information. See Add Admin Role for more information.
Step 4 – Click Apply and OK to save your changes.