When it comes to working with Navigation and linking to page there are a few best practices to make life easier. The first thing is that all navigation work must take place in the admin of your site. Nav Editor is an easy tool to use. You have the option to crate both horizontal and vertical navigation. Here are a few tips and best practices.
HOW TO ADD LINKS
The are a number of ways that you can add links to content.
Nav Editor - Located in the admin, this allows you to add links to the Global Navigation. There are (2) ways to accomplish this action:
- Horizontal or Vertical Nav - Access the admin - open up the Nav Editor. It is here where you will be provided the options to add and or edit global navigation. In the event that a user wants to edit the navigation, you have the option to work with the horizontal or vertical navigation.
- Quick Links - Working with Quick Links is a great tool to help user access information efficiently. You can use quick links to access information within the site and also link out to external sites as well. Adding Quick Links to your site, is very easy to do. They must be configured and activated in the admin first, then afterward the users can add the Quick Link component to a page or on the home site.
- Formatted Text - While in the editor a user can add links to content by using the 'Formatted Text" component. Select the link that looks like a chain link and add the URL. This is a quick tool to use to access documents, link to other pages in the site and or linking to external site.
THE BEST WAY TO CREATE A LINK WHILE ADDING CONTENT
When a user is creating or editing a page, the user realizes that they must link to content in the CMS folder, what do you do?
1.) Duplicate the tab that you are working on. As you are editing the page and have not yet saved the content yet this prevents you from losing all of your work.
2.) Open the CMS folder where your content is stored, check the box of the file you want to link to, then copy the URL to the clipboard.
Go back to the tab you were working on and add your link.
- Image Component - Another way to access content in a unique way without taking up a lot of space on your site is by using images to link to content. By placing an image component on a CMS page, select the component and click edit at the top left area of the editor. The Components Properties page opens. Under the title Image Link, a user places the URL link in this area. This component can be used to link either internal or external applications.
HOW TO LINK A NEW CMS PAGE TO THE NAVIGATION
In the event that a user is creating a new CMS page, in order to have access to that page, a user must create a link or connect that CMS page to the navigation. Now we have covered above the various ways to connect via creating a link. If you want to connect the content to the navigation whether vertical or horizontal follow these quick steps:
Remember where you created the page. (The Home Site, or some other subsite. - VERY IMPORTANT) Open up your admin and go to the NAV Editor. Select the navigation style whether its going to be vertical or horizontal. Open up your NAV Items. It is here the user will determine where the CMS page will exist. There are (2) options here.
- Before you opened up the admin the user can elect to copy the URL of the page location. Once in the Nav Editor can then create the Nav Item and paste the URL there.
- If you did not copy the URL you can simply search for the CMS page that you created.
In the examples s of the screenshots above you see how easy it is to find the content the you created and add it to your navigation.
CLICK HERE to view a quick video tutorial on tip and tricks when working with Navigation and Linking.